Incomparable consistency strengths

Fedor Pakhomov pakhfn at gmail.com
Mon May 3 16:56:48 EDT 2021

I know the following example of two theories A,B.

A=EA+"for odd x if F_ε₀(x) is defined, then so is F_ε₀(x+1)"

B=EA+"for even x if F_ε₀(x) is defined, then so is F_ε₀(x+1)"

In ZF the standard model of arithmetic is a model of both A and B. Thus
1) and 2) hold.

The idea of proving 3) is to construct a model of PA with an odd
non-standard number b, where we have "b is the first number on which
F_ε₀ isn't defined"&¬Con(EA+ "F_ε₀(b) is defined"). Of course, 4) is
proved in the same manner. The constructions could be carried out using
some relatively standard techniques of manipulation with non-standard
models of arithmetic (if there is a need in this, I could give details).

Best,

Fedor Pakhomov