LHC and fictions

Ignacio Añón ianon at latahona.com.uy
Wed Mar 31 17:59:45 EDT 2021

M. Dowd wrote:

"The issue of mathematical formalizabiliy arises well before
electroweak theory.  A useful discussion of one example can be found
at https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/314061/on-the-state-of-quantum-electrodynamics

In general, the relationship of mathematical formalizability to
fictionalism is of interest.  Mathematicians feel gratified by
successful formalization, whether or not it makes the theory "less
fictional" in any sense."

As you say, issues of formlizability arise quite early, at the most
primitive level. But they are determined, hierarchically, by a
preeminent framework, which is still faintly understood(M-theory or
QCD). Historically, the Lagrangian simplification of the Newtonian
model, allowed the Hamilton, Faraday, and maxwell, simplification,
without which, special relativity, general relativity, and the
copenhagen model, are hardly imaginable, This is said to underline,
that attempting to tackle the primitive issues, might block the
possible next synthesis, already latent in Supersymmetry, M-theory and
QCD. Primitive first principles must be guided by sophisticated ideas,
otherwise a regression, instead of a simplification, is possible...

Originally, even Newtonian gravity, was criticized by Leibniz and
Huygens, as an obscurantist fiction. You also make the correct point,
that rigorous mathematical models for physics, can be held independent
of their fictitious character, although some link between mathematical
rigour, and physical reality, might exist, despite our being, as of
2021, unable to understand what it is. A formal mathematical model,
where the parity of subatomic particles is conserved, can easily be
built, and yet we know by experiment, that it is not...

The third question in the Stack exchange post is quite interesting:
mathematically, you can actually simplify and reduce any quantum
electro dynamical, or even any string theory framework, into a lattice
computation. But if you want to understand its structure, and isolate
its topological invariant elements, you need to add a color variable,
and you also need to be careful, when reducing the invariant
structure, to its Lie group. The continuous symmetry of the invariant
structure, has a dimensionless fourier layer, linking the Lattice
space, to its differential hamiltonian. This is very important at high
energies, and is the only framework that allows you to count the "flux
vacua", occurring in any global physical theory aiming to include all
the forces...