Mathematical fictionalism vs. physical fictionalism

Vaughan Pratt pratt at cs.stanford.edu
Sat Mar 27 22:15:54 EDT 2021

 While I'm sympathetic to the point of view of mathematical fictionalism,
I'd be interested in hearing from any FOM participants about physics
fictionalism.

Whereas Bohmian mechanics maintains that particles such as electrons move
continuously, the Copenhagen Interpretation maintains that electrons in
orbitals only exist as distributions and not as actual continuously moving
particles.

These being contradictory points of view, must we infer that at least one
of them is fictional?

Vaughan Pratt