875: Structural Proof Theory/7

Timothy Y. Chow tchow at math.princeton.edu
Mon Mar 22 20:27:03 EDT 2021

Kevin Buzzard wrote:
> For me, Harvey's unspecified model of what it means for a Diophantine
> equation to be TINY has too few details of what TINY actually means to
> be able to make a sensible response. For example can we talk about
> degree 3 equations in two variables?

I don't think so.  Harvey linked to an older post of his; you may not have
clicked through:

https://cs.nyu.edu/pipermail/fom/2006-October/011044.html

If I'm parsing the definitions correctly, the "term complexity" of a
degree 3 equation would (naively at least) seem to be at least 3, and
Harvey is focusing on term complexity at most 2.

By the way, if you missed it, you might want to look at Harvey's
"Structural Mapping Theory/1" and my response to it:

https://cs.nyu.edu/pipermail/fom/2021-February/022476.html
https://cs.nyu.edu/pipermail/fom/2021-February/022477.html

Tim