mathematics free of a blackboard (I. Gelfand and M. Gromov)

martdowd at aol.com martdowd at aol.com
Tue Mar 16 20:48:19 EDT 2021

 Jose Caballero

On the other hand, the number 3 in category theory seems to be less dependent on the representation.
 I agree that the natural numbers provide a more fundamental example than the graphs.  For example. Peano arithmetic provides a completely satisfactory formal setting for them, without any reference to sets, and avoids any need for defining them in term of more abstract concepts.  Any set-theoretic definition has a "contrived" flavor, but the von Neumann ordinals also have a certain naturality.

Martin Dowd