mathematics free of a blackboard (I. Gelfand and M. Gromov)

Josef Urban josef.urban at gmail.com
Fri Mar 12 00:17:27 EST 2021

Voevodsky's Homotopy type theory (HoTT) seemed very much motivated by his
struggle with flexibly identifying different representations when he tried
proof assistants (PAs) in his math domain.

But people have been addressing similar things in various ways in PAs long
before him. Examples are the "smart" parsing mechanisms used by Gonthier in
the Coq formalization of Feit-Thompson, type classes and isomorphism
"transfers" in Isabelle, etc.

I am not saying that the formalization community has completely succeeded
in this - there is a long way to go. But Gromov seems to be throwing out
the "logic baby" (formal proof verification, automation, computation) with
the bathwater and quite unaware of the work of the PA community on such
topics.

Btw., I wrote this in 2009 (p. 23 of  https://arxiv.org/pdf/1109.3687v1 )
about Mizar's linguistic automation (which is so old that it predates type
classes in Haskell):

======
Mizar is in some sense both typed and untyped. In a narrow foundational
sense, Mizar is based on set theory, which is typically considered untyped.
The set-theoretical world initially consists of many objects of “just one
type”, in a similar spirit as the physical world initially consists of many
objects of “just one kind” (strings for example). These objects can have
various properties (a number, ordinal number, complex number, cardinal
number, Conway number, a relation, function, complex function, complex
matrix), however none of them is considered to be of “foundational
importance”, and all these properties are treated as equal “adjectives” or
“attributes”. Typically, mathematicians are interested only in some
particular properties of the objects, and fluently shift and focus between
them, and take some of them as granted in various contexts. Thus, the set
of natural numbers can once be treated as a measurable cardinal, another
time as a subset of real (and thus “obviously” complex) numbers, and
another time as a commutative semiring. The Mizar “typing” mechanisms are
concerned with providing such fluid and “obvious” treatment of the
adjectives. Note that recently similar automation mechanisms have been
added to other proof assistants, some of them based on (simple) type
theory, and sometimes such mechanisms have even been called “type
inference”. Examples are syntactic mechanisms like implicit coercions and
canonical structures in Coq, and type classes in Isabelle and Coq. We leave
it to the readers and their foundational beliefs and tastes to decide for
themselves what exactly counts as “type inference”, and instead focus on
explaining how these mechanism work in Mizar.

Josef