Clarification of Skepticism

Josef Urban josef.urban at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 16:40:53 EST 2021

I am willing to bet that

1. FLT will be formally verified by 2050.

It seems quite conservative given the recent progress. If things go well
and formalization gets easier and ubiquitous, it could happen quite a bit
faster.

Then there are:

2. A computer suggests FLT.

3. A computer suggests Tanyama-Shimura.

4. A computer proves automatically FLT.

None of them are as easy to precisely state as (1).

They depend on what the machine is allowed to know beforehand.

(2) seems similar to what has been done by Lenat, Langley and Colton
decades ago. And it looks really short (could be generated just by
enumeration).

(3) really depends on what the machine is given. Holmstrom & Vik have been
playing in related areas recently:
https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-319-62075-6_13 .

(4) could be stated as "having just as much ZFC and its number theory
needed to formulate and prove FLT". And then the machine would have to
discover and prove everything along the way to FLT. This sounds relatively
clean, but also much harder than what Wiles did - he knew a lot already. It
would be a serious jump.

Still, my estimate is that by 2070 (4) will be done in some way. Because
machines will get much better in proving and in proposing interesting
concepts and theories, including smaller and bigger jumps.

In particular, the things listed below don't look impossible:

- "imagery": has been demonstrated in various ways mentioned before. This
may need to be lifted from low-level/syntactic to more higher-level/fuzzy,
but such methods are coming and experimented with.

- "philosophical reflection": not sure if/how it will be particularly
needed beyond judging interestingness of math concepts and theories.
Perhaps grounding in real physical world will turn out more important for
developing the kind of math humans have focused on.

- "judgement calls": AlphaGo/Zero have learned them better than humans. Its
setting is much more limited than math, but you can clearly see the
algorithmic progress ("jumps") from zero knowledge to superhuman.

- "decades of refinements/experiments":  AlphaGo/Zero has self-played more
games in days than any human has played in his life. It wouldn't be too
hard to have it play more games than all of humanity ever played.

All of this is certainly much more speculative/pointless/hype-ish than my
cautious/precise "40/60/80% of Mizar/Flyspeck/AFP/etc". So I prefer to
focus on the latter as the real goals where we can measure day-to-day
progress.

But I don't think the underlying arguments differ much from what Turing was
saying already in his 1950 paper when addressing various objections to AI.

Best,
Josef