Proof Assistants being seriously useful for everyday garden variety serious mathematical development

Buzzard, Kevin M k.buzzard at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Mar 3 08:14:07 EST 2021

Nobody has proved Borel determinacy in Lean or indeed the much easier open determinacy. These results might be proved in other theorem provers (some of which have been around for longer) but most of the mathematical projects happening right now in lean are not in logic or set theory. I was taught about Borel determinacy by Mathias in a graduate course in Cambridge in the 90s and I am certain that it would be possible to do in Lean. The hard part is finding someone to do it. Open determinacy is something one should do first in order to check that one has the definitions in a usable form. For example it took some thought to get Conway's general notion of a game (in the sense of ONAG) formalised in Lean.