Technology for Which Mathematical Activities?/1

Josef Urban josef.urban at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 04:21:24 EST 2021

Some quick comments on the AI/TP topics.

1. There is an ongoing seminar on these topics with recordings on YouTube
organized by Mike Douglas: https://cmsa.fas.harvard.edu/tech-in-math/ .
This Wednesday there will be a talk by Jason Rute about a recent AI/TP
system for Lean. There are also many talks recorded from AITP'20 at
http://aitp-conference.org/2020/ .

2. Conjecturing has been getting more and more attention. Several
statistical/ML/TP methods have been proposed in the last five years (see a
short overview in https://arxiv.org/pdf/2005.14664.pdf). It is still a very
hard task and the methods are still pretty basic, but e.g. the recent
neural architectures can sometimes produce quite good-looking conjectures
and even full proofs. It starts to be fun.

3. This is related to autoformalization (automated translation of TeX to
formal math), which also seems to be a more and more realistic task. Again,
thanks to combinations of (better) learning systems and theorem proving
methods.

4. The raw power of standard ATP systems is still quite low in general
math, but it has improved quite a bit over the last couple of years. We
went from about 40% on full Mizar in the last big evaluation in 2014 (
https://doi.org/10.1007/s10817-015-9330-8) to almost 60% today in a
comparable (resource controlled) scenario. You can take a look at examples
of what we can prove automatically (typically under 60 seconds CPU time)
here:  https://github.com/ai4reason/ATP_Proofs .

5. In tactical ITPs (HOL, Coq, ...), the situation may be even better. The
TacticToe system (https://arxiv.org/abs/1804.00596) by Thibault Gauthier
has proved about 70% of HOL4 theorems in 60 CPU seconds already in 2018.
Again, this is thanks to guiding the tactics by learning from previous
proofs. Similar systems now exist also for HOL Light, Coq and Lean.

Thanks to (4) and (5), I have basically already won the second part of my
bet (2) from my 2014 challenges (http://ai4reason.org/aichallenges.html).

I am still happy to accept bets on the other challenges from the naysayers
;-).

Best,
Josef