About existence-as-consistency

Curtis Franks Curtis.D.Franks.7 at nd.edu
Mon Jun 28 21:15:29 EDT 2021

I do not have references handy, but Poincaré's writings (e.g., the essays
selected in Bill Ewald's sourcebook) contain many instances of the
existence-as-consistency idea. I do not recall seeing the idea in
Poincaré's writings before 1900, so it might not predate Hilbert's own
expressions. But it is interesting that Poincaré was some sort of
constructivist, dissassociting the idea somewhat from classical logic.

Curtis Franks