Adequacy of a logic

Tennant, Neil tennant.9 at osu.edu
Fri Jun 11 08:08:27 EDT 2021

Hello Patrik, hello fom-ers,

Patrik's comments about the ontological/methodological status of terms, sentences, etc. are rather orthogonal to my own concerns. I took it that readers of fom would be able to go along with some assumed basics in formal languages and systems of mathematical logic---that I would be able to use terms like 'sentence', 'proof', 'model', etc. with the widely understood meanings that they have for us all. These meanings, IMHO, are precise enough to be able to generate interesting discussion of the question posed.

By all means employ your own way of recovering, or re-constituting, or formally explicating, the meanings of these terms, so that you can then address my question: are the properties (1)-(5) that I listed for a logical system collectively sufficient for regimenting the deductive reasoning undertaken in mathematics and science?

Best regards,
Neil