865: Structural Mapping Theory/3

martdowd at aol.com martdowd at aol.com
Thu Feb 11 17:01:57 EST 2021

FOM,
Harvey Friedman writes

picking a specific set of counting numbers 0,1,2,... as von Neumann
ordinals, something horrendously ghastly, artificial, repulsive, and
wrong headed to most mathematicians

 There is another point of view.  Set theory is a "gift of nature" which allows us to do profound and elegant things like, as a mere exercise, give a formal definition of the natural numbers.
> So what is 1/0? The straightforward answer is that it is undefined. This
> leads to what is called FREE LOGIC which allows undefined terms.
Obviously introductory texts on fields will not resort to such drastic measures,  I only looked at one example, Lidl and Niederreitersection 1.2.  They use the notation "a^-1", only assuming that "a" is nonzero.  This suggests using two-sorted logic, one sort being the entire field and the other the non-zero elements.  Then "/" would be a function on sort 1 x sort 2.

Martin Dowd
-----Original Message-----Niederreiter