Finitism and primitive recursive arithmetic

JOSEPH SHIPMAN joeshipman at aol.com
Sat Dec 11 22:48:11 EST 2021

In the context of ZFC, which is a fine context for foundational discussions, it seems to me that “finitist result” ought to mean “provable without using the axiom of infinity”, which gives us, for arithmetic, the same theorems that PA does.

Did Hilbert or his collaborators ever explicitly either accept or reject the claim that Ackerman’s function was finitistic?

— JS

Sent from my iPhone