Dieudonne on Dedekind

Colin McLarty colin.mclarty at case.edu
Tue Aug 10 14:30:43 EDT 2021

> It’s not clear to me what Dieudonne’s complaint is, because any issues
> with Dedekind’s definition are equally applicable to the high school
> definition. How, and when, does he want the teaching to be different?

He wants undergrad students to know the real numbers have the least upper
bound property.  But he does not want them taught that somehow you begin
with sets of rational numbers and then derive the property for sets of
reals from that.  Note that historically Dedekind did base his account of
real numbers on the least upper bound principle, while he
explicitly refused to identify real numbers as cuts on the rationals.

And Dieudonne wants undergrads taught (a great deal, actually) about
convergent sequences and series of real numbers, obviously including the
Cauchy convergence criterion.  But he does not want them taught that real
numbers are defined by Cauchy sequences of rational numbers, with the
theory of Cauchy sequences of real numbers as a consequence of that.

Dieudonne wants the Dedekind cut construction of reals, and the Cauchy
sequence construction of them, taught to postgrad students who will make
use of them as cases of completions in topological ring theory.

Colin