Dieudonne on Dedekind

Colin McLarty colin.mclarty at case.edu
Tue Aug 10 09:41:56 EDT 2021

It is worth mentioning though that, Dieudonne specifically meant Dedekind
cuts, and Cauchy sequences of rationals, have "have no bearing whatsoever
on *analysis*."  He did use them, and their analogues, in number theory.
Speaking of the whole arithmetization of analysis, from natural numbers to
real numbers, he said:

Moreover, this boring mathematics gave birth to at least two important
> ideas (another example of the phenomenon mentioned above). The first, of
> algebraic nature, is the symmetrization which leads from a "semi-group" to
> a group, the value of which has been measured very recently in the
> definition of "Grothendieck groups" in K-theory; the other, "completion",
> although topological in nature, is now used mostly in algebra where it
> serves as a powerful tool leading to the definition of p-adic numbers and
> similar "topological rings". These applications, however, are well above
> the pre-graduate student level of universities, and I share Thom's view
> that Dedekind's traditional "cuts" or analogous ways of "defining" real
> numbers are completely unnecessary and even harmful at this level.

Par ailleurs, ces mathématiques ennuyeuses ont donné le jour au moins à
> deux idées importantes (un autre exemple du phénomène mentionné ci-dessus).
> La première, de nature algébrique, est la symétrisation qui conduit d'un
> "semi-groupe" à un groupe, dont on a mesuré très récemment toute la valeur
> dans la définition des "groupes de Grothendieck" en K-théorie ; l'autre,
> "la complétion", bien que de nature topologique, est utilisée à présent
> surtout en algèbre où elle sert d'outil puissant conduisant à la définition
> des nombres p-adiques et des "anneaux topologiques" similaires. Ces
> applications, cependant, sont bien au-dessus du niveau de l'étudiant avant
> le troisième cycle des universités, et je partage l'opinion de Thom que les
> "coupures" traditionnelles de Dedekind ou les façons analogues de "définir"
> des nombres réels sont parfaitement inutiles et même nuisibles à ce niveau.

http://michel.delord.free.fr/dieudonne-1974.html

Colin