Lower order axioms

JOSEPH SHIPMAN joeshipman at aol.com
Sun Aug 1 00:42:51 EDT 2021

What natural axiom systems *for arithmetic* extend the Peano axioms?

Obviously I can define an axiom scheme “if Phi is an arithmetical consequence of ZF, then Phi” and I’ll get any provable arithmetical statement, but what I really want to know is if there are any standard systems stronger than PA in Second-Order Arithmetic or a higher system, such that the purely arithmetical consequences follow from a nice set of first-order arithmetical axioms.

Analogously, is there a natural axiom system in the language of Second Order Arithmetic with the strength of a higher order system?

— JS

Sent from my iPhone