Thomas Strahm (1965-2021)

Martin Davis martin.david.davis at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 19:44:22 EDT 2021

I am sorry to inform our subscribers of the death of Thomas Strahm.

Thomas Strahm, born in Bern, obtained his PhD in 1996 at the University of
Bern with a thesis entitled “On the Proof Theory of Applicative Theories”.
In this thesis he provided the foundations for explicit mathematics as a
useful and powerful framework for so-called bounded systems that
characterize various complexity classes. Thomas is well-known for his many
contributions to mathematical logic and theoretical computer science, more
specifically, proof theory, explicit mathematics, higher type functionals
in an applicative context, and applicative theories for computational
complexity. He was one of the leading experts of explicit mathematics and
made groundbreaking contributions to the metapredicativity program and the
unfolding of theories.

Martin