empirical metamathematics

José Manuel Rodríguez Caballero josephcmac at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 07:28:21 EDT 2020

Dear Sam,
  Thank you for the references. Concerning the statistical law pointed out
by Wolfram (Wolfram's law), according to which

in a system consisting of N theorems (where N is huge), the number of
> theorems that depend (directly or indirectly) on k theorems behaves as an
> exponential decay in k.

I think that it deserves more research before being dismissed as a
misinterpretation of data. Some patters have been observed in human
languages, e.g., the Zipf law [1] and it is likely that a mathematical
theory should exhibit similar patterns (mathematics is a language after
all). An interesting application of Wolfram's law could be to identify a
deductive system from its statistical properties, e.g., the empirical decay
constant (assuming Wolfram's law) may be different in ZFC, Simple Type
Theory, Calculus of Constructions, Category Theory, etc. In
cryptography, it is well-known how to identify a human language from the
frequency of the letters used in a long text [2].

Kind regards,
José M.