Is the universe conservative?

martdowd at aol.com martdowd at aol.com
Mon Oct 5 12:18:29 EDT 2020

FOM

Monroe Eskew writes

The experience of modern set theory with large cardinals would seem to cast doubt on the existence of such rigid structure.
 This is indeed a compelling argument on the "other side" of the question.  As a starting point it suffices to consider K^DJ, which equals L unless 0# holds, which is so iff some L_\alpha has uncountably many indiscernibles.  I titled the paper as a question, because as usual there's no methodology for "dispensing with" the question.  However it is of interest to try to understand why we can neither "see" indiscernibles, nor prove they don't exist.  Why should they "creep in" when the cumulative hierarchy is extended to an omega_1-Erdos cardinal?  Why aren't they apparent, independently of any large cardinal hypotheses?  K^DJ depends on 0#, so 0# seems to be an adequate "counter-principle" for trying to gain some further understanding of the situation.
Martin Dowd