[FOM] Logic/Syntax versus Arithmetic

Timothy Y. Chow tchow at math.princeton.edu
Mon Mar 2 20:42:15 EST 2020

MK wrote:

> I have the impression again that you are talking about the metalanguage
> three here.  Developing a formal object theory for "the" natural numbers
> necessarily takes you beyond the metanaturals.

I don't disagree, but I feel that you and I may be talking about different
things.  I'm just trying to argue for a parallelism between syntax and
arithmetic.

So for example, if someone thinks that the word "string" makes enough
sense that we can use that word meaningfully in a metalanguage, then I
maintain that the word "number" makes enough sense that we can use that
word meaningfully in a metalanguage.

Or if someone thinks that it makes sense to talk about infinitely many
wffs, then I maintain that it makes sense to talk about infinitely many
natural numbers.

Tim