The Universe (matthias)

Øystein Linnebo linnebo at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 10:38:11 EDT 2020

Tim Chow asks the good question of whether there is a statement which can
be proved by someone who regards the natural numbers as an actual infinity
but not by someone who regards them merely as a potential infinity.

On the analysis that Shapiro and I offer, the answer has two parts.

First, while the actualist is entitled to full second-order arithmetic, the
potentialist is not, at least not on a combinatorial conception of the
classes of numbers (in which case every such class that is ever generated
is finite).

Second, consider a potentialist who is *strict*, roughly in the sense that
she insists not only that *every object* is generated at some stage or
other, but also that *every truth* is accounted for at some stage or other.
On the analysis that Shapiro and I provide, a strict potentialist is only
entitled to intuitionistic logic, not classical -- with obvious
consequences already for first-order arithmetic.

Oystein