[FOM] The Universe

Joe Shipman joeshipman at aol.com
Fri Jul 10 00:04:40 EDT 2020

Those axioms don’t seem very well-motivated in that paper. I guess that they sort of say, among other things, that there is no single Universe which contains all the other ones as submodels, but I’m not sure about this.

The most radical “one universe” axiom is the conjunction of V=L and “there is no standard model of ZFC”. If there is a standard model, then this axiom holds in the Cohen/Shepherdson minimal model M, so I like to call the axiom “V=M”. Although the axiom is unsatisfactory in various respects, it certainly shows that there doesn’t have to be a multiverse.

— JS

Sent from my iPhone