The Universe

matthias matthias.eberl at mail.de
Wed Jul 8 02:39:25 EDT 2020

This debate is in its essence very similar to that between potential and
actual infinite, basically between a dynamic and a static concept.
Hamkins calls the multiverse view potentialism e.g.
https://www.winterschool.eu/files/1040-Set-theoretic_potentialism_12048749381.pdf.

Niebergall (https://philpapers.org/rec/NIEAOI) analyzed the notions of
infinity, actual und potential, and finitism. One outcome is that there
is no satisfactory way to formulate (purely syntactically) whether a
theory uses a potential infinite and not an actual infinite. I think
this transfers to the ZFC universe and multiverse debate as well. The
adequate way to formulate this difference is in my opinion that of the
interpretation of the universal quantifier. A potentialist view can only
refer to some stage of the multiverse, not simply to "all". So the
interpretation must have a kind of reflection principle in the sense
that the universal quantifier refers to a stage that represents the
whole multiverse.

Kind regards,
Matthias