[FOM] Foundational Challenge

Joe Shipman joeshipman at aol.com
Sat Jan 25 22:30:02 EST 2020

Although what Tim Chow says is right about metatheorems in general, I am talking here about a specific kind of metatheorem which is both a precisely stated and quotable theorem and easy to apply, namely “conservative extension results”.

“You’re allowed to assume Choice in proving arithmetical theorems because it’s been established that AC can be eliminated from any such proof” is eminently quotable and applicable. (I’m not sure how much proof-shortening is involved by adding the scheme “If AC implies Phi, then Phi” for arithmetical Phi to ZF, is anything known about this?)

Now that I think about it, the following caveat occurs to me.

In a relatively weak system, we can prove ZFC is a conservative extension of ZF for statements of low enough type. But are there weaker systems such that adding AC gives you new arithmetical theorems? Is ZC a conservative extension of Z For arithmetical statements? What about adding an appropriate form of Choice to second order arithmetic?

— JS

Sent from my iPhone