[FOM] Foundational Challenge

Louis H Kauffman kauffman at uic.edu
Mon Jan 20 23:31:43 EST 2020

Dear Jose M.,
Lets take knot diagrams as an example. A given knot diagram D is a 4-valent plane graph with extra structure. It is convenient to condsider the set of  all diagrams S(D) obtained from D by the Reidemeister moves and to prove that a certain knot polynomial will take the same value on all of them. While one may focus on the diagram or the graph, nevertheless one needs the set of all the diagrams and the
understanding that S(D) is a countable set and other matters. There is no felicitous way to handle knot diagrams and the associated tensor categories and functors of quantum topology without using set theory.
The whole enterprise is embedded in set theory with special languages of diagrams and compositionality that are convenient for both theory and calculation. This is what we expect of set theory - a broad basis that can handle special inventions as well. One more point. The diagram D can be seen as a projection of a curve that is set-theoretically embedded in three dimensional space. This relationship is of key importance for
working with the knot theory and relating the diagrammatic parts of it with the classical, topological and geometrical parts. The set theory allows one to work with the subject as a whole. These remarks apply to the categories for quantum theory and the tensor diagrams as well.
Very best,
Lou Kauffman