[FOM] Foundational Challenge

Timothy Y. Chow tchow at math.princeton.edu
Thu Jan 16 16:31:16 EST 2020

M. Katz wrote:

> It has been assumed for about 70 years that in homological algebra and
> certain subfields of algebraic geometry, category theory is a more
> appropriate framework than set theory.
[...]
> Moreover, attempts by set theorists to challenge the conclusion that
> category theory is a more appropriate foundation in these fields can
> only lead to such attempts being discredited.
[...]
> To retain credibility, arguments in favor of ZFC or such as foundation
> should be grounded in a choice of field where such an argument is
> proposed, and preferably made by experts in such fields together with
> set theorists.
[...]
> However, I think that ostrich insistence on ZFC as universal foundation
> for all of mathematics is no longer credible, and may have the opposite
> effect as far as grants are concerned.

I think that Maddy's terminology, and her distinctions between different
roles that a "foundation" for mathematics might play, are helpful here.

Also, as I've said before on FOM, I think that it's important to
distinguish between "foundation of X" where X is some subfield of
mathematics, and "foundation of mathematics."

In the 20th century, there was a shift from varieties to schemes in
algebraic geometry.  This is regarded by practitioners of algebraic
geometry as a change in the "foundations of algebraic geometry."
Categories, of course, play an essential role in scheme-theoretic
foundations (and its descendants).

In my opinion, the shift from varieties to schemes should *not* be
regarded as a shift from "set theory" to "category theory" in the
"foundations of algebraic geometry," much less in the "foundations of
mathematics."  When practitioners think about the "foundations of X," they
are generally *not* thinking about drilling down to the foundations of all
of mathematics, or trying to build up the entire theory from absolutely
primitive philosophical concepts.  They are drilling down only as far as
they need to for the purposes of furthering their research in X.  In
Maddy's language, they are concerned with Essential Guidance.  They
couldn't care less about whether their new foundations provide a Generous
Arena that is generous enough to encompass some other branch of
mathematics that they don't care about.  They also couldn't care less
about providing an adequate Metamathematical Corral, unless for some
reason metamathematical concerns are directly relevant to their next
research paper in X.  Conversely, if someone comes along and insists on
defining categories in terms of sets, the general attitude will be, "Fine,
do whatever you want, as long as I can have my categories and reason with
them the way I want to reason with them."  Turf wars between category
theory and set theory are of little interest to them, again, unless their
next paper actually requires them to pay attention to such niceties.

This kind of attitude toward "foundations of X" can, for the most part,
coexist peacefully with a variety of views of the "foundations of
mathematics."  In particular, I don't share M. Katz's pessimistic view
about set theory getting discredited if someone insists on set theory as a
foundation of mathematics.  As I said above, if you want to insist on
using set theory as a Generous Arena for *all* mathematics, and you claim
that your set-theoretic framework can support everything that the
algebraic geometer wants to say about categories and topoi and schemes and
so forth, the algebraic geometer is unlikely to complain.  Just don't
commit the faux pas of saying that you're proposing set theory as a
"foundation for algebraic geometry" in a way that suggests that they're
going to have to abandon their talk of categories and whatnot.

I think that the real clashes come not when some particular subfield X
makes some assertion about the "foundations of X" but when a broader claim
is made, about something (say, category theory) being a complete
substitute for set theory for the foundations of *mathematics*.  If and
when such a claim is made, then I think one can rightly ask if the
alternative foundation provides not just better Essential Guidance for
some subfield X, but is also well equipped to shoulder the burden of other
tasks that a foundation for all mathematics is often expected to
shoulder---a Generous Arena and Shared Standard for *all* of mathematics,
and a Metamathematical Corral that gives a clear explanation for why we
need not worry about logical paradoxes arising.

The vibe that I sometimes get from proponents of alternative foundations
is that they don't see the need for Generous Arena and Metamathematical
Corral.  They may talk about a foundation for "mathematics" but secretly
they really only care about their own subfield X, and so it doesn't bother
them that their proposed Arena is awkward for other mathematicians.  They
also, by and large, don't care too much about metamathematics, and I think
that part of this is that from their point of view, mathematics is
*obviously* sound, so worrying about its soundness is silly philosophical
nonsense.  The feeling that mathematics is obviously sound is what, in my
opinion, underlies Penrose's notorious arguments about Goedel's theorems.
I also think that it explains Voevodsky's notorious lecture on whether PA
might be inconsistent.  In the last part of that lecture, he talks about
"reliable" mathematics in a way that, to me at least, betrays his feeling
that the mathematics that *he* is interested in is obviously "reliable"
and so there is surely some way to formalize that obvious fact.

A cavalier attitude toward Generous Arena and Metamathematical Corral is
one thing that annoys those with a traditional view of foundations, who
feel that the hard-won insights of the early 20th century are being
slighted.  So again, I don't agree with M. Katz that ZFC as a universal
foundation for all mathematics is not credible, if we understand that
claim rightly.  The claim isn't that for every subfield X of mathematics,
we must explicitly use raw set theory for the "foundations of X" and
eschew any defined notions.  The claim, rather, is that set theory is
still the most convincing candidate when it comes to Generous Arena,
Shared Standard, and Metamathematical Corral for mathematics considered as
a whole.  In my view, this remains a highly credible claim, and it is not
threatened by the success of any particular "foundation of X" that one
might devise for particular subfields X.

Tim