[FOM] Foundational Challenge

Joe Shipman joeshipman at aol.com
Wed Jan 15 15:19:30 EST 2020

In the case of the 4-color theorem it is the same as with other computer proofs. There are 3 parts:

1) an ordinary humanly verifiable proof that an algorithm is correct, translated into formalized ZFC or whatever other system in the usual way,
2) the input to the algorithm (in this case, an unavoidable set of reducible configurations, generated by earlier iterative man-machine interaction), and
3) the trace of the algorithm (proof it halts successfully obtained by actually running the computation and translating its state into the formal system’s representation; in this case, the reduction-finding subroutine for each reducible configuration can itself emit a smaller more easily verified piece representing the particular reductions found).

The paper you reference builds a lot of its own infrastructure for the special purpose of this proof. But there is no particular disadvantage in using a ZFC-based system to prove a statement of the form “algorithm X on input Y halts with output Z” compared with other formal systems, once the once-and-for-all work to represent algorithms conveniently has been done.

This might be different, I suspect, from the situation with HTT and calculating homotopy groups. The question is whether the special axioms of HTT such as Voevodsky’s Univalence Axiom lead either to an algorithm which is superior in performance to algorithms coming from the standard Set Theory based developments, or lead significantly more easily to equivalent algorithms. By “significantly more easily” I mean “proving the algorithm is correct in HTT is easier than in Set Theory even if you don’t count the cost of the infrastructure set theory needs to *state* propositions in homotopy theory”, because that cost is a once-and-for-all expense, already accomplished.

— JS

Sent from my iPhone