[FOM] Foundational Challenge

Joe Shipman joeshipman at aol.com
Mon Jan 13 17:02:30 EST 2020

I’m not disputing that that particular result has a shorter formal proof in HTT. I did say, or intended to say, that the amount by which I was asking for improvement in the *proof* was greater than the amount of work already needed simply to *state* the proposition in ZFC. If one regards all the work required to *define* Homotopy Groups of Spheres, then obviously HTT will do better than ZFC, but I already knew that.

People working in ZFC have already done the work they need to state the propositions they are interested in. The function f(n,k) calculating the kth homotopy groups of the n-sphere (represented using some standard easy coding of finitely generated abelian groups) may be considered from 2 starting points: a development in ZFC that has defined it, and a development in HTT that has defined it.  From these starting points, does HTT provide any improvement in the amount of work needed to actually calculate it? (That is, the incremental  proof length needed to derive propositions of the form f(n,k)=G for specific values of n,k,G.)

— JS

Sent from my iPhone