[FOM] Foundational Challenge

Joe Shipman joeshipman at aol.com
Thu Jan 9 11:02:11 EST 2020

In case you’re wondering why I chose these criteria:

I don’t want to disparage, say, homotopy type theory as a better way of either finding or formalizing results in homotopy theory or other areas of mathematics. I only want to challenge claims that such systems improve on ZFC as a foundation for mathematics in general. If you not only can’t prove anything new, but can’t improve on the standard foundation for proving theorems  in the fundamental core that any proposed general foundation must cover, then however nice your system is I don’t have a reason to prefer it to ZFC as the standard.

Alternative set theories like NF seem like possible candidates for meeting my second criterion but not my first, however I don’t have an example.

Non-set theories like homotopy type theory don’t seem to be able to handle arithmetic without going through the same steps set theory does after first building a set theory, but I’d love to be proven wrong about this.

Ordinary type theory is fine but almost trivial to interpret in ZFC (or even just ZC) so doesn’t satisfy either of my criteria.

— JS

Sent from my iPhone