[FOM] Ordering a rank (Joe Shipman)

Marco Forti forti at dma.unipi.it
Sat Jan 4 09:25:49 EST 2020

David, I'm not sure you have seen my response to Joe Shipman, so I copy it
here,
in case it might be of interest to you:

two remarks are in order:
1) the property I quoted was
  (#)             n(A)<n(B) if and only if exists C s.t. A (strictly)
included in C, and n(C)=n(B),
and not the similar
  ($)             n(A)<n(B) if and only if exists C s.t. C(strictly)
included in B and n(C)=n(A).
I do not claim that they are equivalent, nor that they are not.
What is actually proved in [FM] is that (#) is equivalent to the symmetric
property
  (@)             n(A)<n(B) if and only if exists C,D s.t. D (strictly)
included in C, and n(C)=n(B), n(D)=n(A).
I don't know wether the same is true for ($), only that (#) seems easier to
obtain in our uncountable models.
2) You are right in your last assertion about stronger requirements, in
fact the only articles of mine where equivalence with special ultrafilters
is claimed (and proved) are:
[QSU] A. Blass, M. Di Nasso, M. Forti - Quasi-selective ultra lters and
asymptotic numerosities, Adv. Math. 231 (2012),
where the equivalence is established between "asymptotic" numerosities of
subsets of N that generalize the usual asymptotic density,
and a class of ultafilters, introduced n ad hoc and intermediate between
selective and P-point, so a little beyond ZFC.
[FM] M. Forti, G. Morana Roccasalvo - Natural numerosities of sets of
tuples, Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 367 (2015),
where the same result is extended to numerosities explicitly qualified as
equivalent to the asymptotic ones, on the one hand;
on the other hand, a new kind of ultrafilters, called "gauge", is
introduced and proved equivalent to the existence of numerosities
satisfying (#)
(but again only on countable sets): actually I conjectured that also those
ultrafilters were beyond ZFC, but now I think that
I have proved that they exist in ZFC, even on sets of arbitrary cardinality.

Best wishes, MF
.

Marco Forti
Dipartimento di Matematica