[FOM] Ordering a rank

Marco Forti forti at dma.unipi.it
Thu Jan 2 06:25:17 EST 2020

In fact, the main problem of the "Euclidean" theory of numerosity was  that
the "algebraic" total ordering of the ring of numerosities should have the
natural set theoretic characterization, namely:
   (#)             n(A)<n(B) if and only if exists C s.t. A (strictly)
included in C, and n(C)=n(B).
This fact has been established up to now, only for countable sets, by means
of selective ultrafilters, so a little beyond ZFC.
(on the other hand, also the totality of the Cantorian weak cardinal
ordering that
                     |A|<=|B| if and only if exists C s.t. A (weakly)
included in C, and |C|=|B|
had to wait till Zermelo's new axiom of choice!)
However  a proof in pure ZFC of the general statement (#) for all sets of
sufficiently comprehensive families, e.g. V_kappa or H(kappa) for any
cardinal kappa, has been found in the last couple of month, and will be
posted soon to the arxive.
Marco Forti
.

Marco Forti