Logic/syntax versus arithmetic

Sam Sanders sasander at me.com
Mon Feb 24 03:18:13 EST 2020

Since Alan Weir mentions Quine and Goodman’s nominalism, Church’s (colourful) criticism of the latter should be mentioned as well.
In fact, Church devoted part of a lecture at Harvard to this criticism, as has been noted before on the FOM:

https://cs.nyu.edu/pipermail/fom/2005-September/009079.html

The following article also mentions a follow-up at the bottom, claiming that the Quine-Goodman approach has been rather useless
(correct imho), in contract to Church’s:

http://www.jfsowa.com/ontology/church.htm

I am talking about the following note at the end of the previous website:

<begin>

Note:  As Church thought likely, the “finitistic nominalism” of Quine and Goodman has been useless for linguistics, both theoretical and computational. The following excerpt from Church’s 1951 article, The need for abstract entities, is an early proposal for a formal semantics of natural language. In 1967, Church moved from Princeton to UCLA, where Rudolf Carnap, Richard Montague, Hans Kamp, Barbara Partee, and others were actively debating and developing formal semantics for NLs.

</end>

In light of the above, what do contemporary nominalist approaches have to offer, beyond “development for their own sake”, that Quine and Goodman’s approach lacked?

In other words, why will history not repeat itself this time?

Cheers,

Sam