[FOM] What is a "non-constructive proof"?

Joe Shipman joeshipman at aol.com
Wed Feb 19 05:03:22 EST 2020

A and B are excellent examples of the kind of nonconstructiveness I asked for in my 3rd category. But there is still a natural bound on the size of object that needs to be searched for (in the factorization case) or the algorithmic complexity (in the “hex” case, exponential time and space by working backwards from end positions).

My 2nd category guarantees a solution but with no bound, and my 1st category (worse still) guarantees finitely many (possibly 0) solutions with no way of knowing when to stop searching.

— JS

Sent from my iPhone