Russell vs Hilbert

Tennant, Neil tennant.9 at osu.edu
Wed Dec 16 08:02:32 EST 2020

JS's Twitter friend was quoting from page i of Russell's Preface to
The Principles of Mathematics.

At pages vi-vii, Russell went on to clarify what he meant by
'proposition' as follows:

"Where two qualities
are commonly supposed inseparably conjoined, but are here
regarded as separable, the name which has applied to their
combination will usually have to be restricted to one or other.
For example, propositions are commonly regarded as (1) true
or false, (2) mental. Holding, as I do, that what is true or false
is not in general mental, I require a name for the true or false
as such, and this name can scarcely be other than proposition."

I don't know whether this clinches the interpretative question raised,
but it inclines me to the view that Russell was convinced that all
mathematical truths would be logically derivable.

Neil Tennant