Russell vs Hilbert

Patrik Eklund peklund at cs.umu.se
Wed Dec 16 02:28:28 EST 2020

A tweet shouldn't rewrite the history of the foundations of mathematics.

Reading Grundlagen der Mathematik I, II is still recommendable, but very
few, unfortunately, know content in those volumes.

Hilbert is mostly ignored, even, funny as it is, Hilbert was the one
speaking very strongly against "ignorabimus". That was in a certain
sense at that time, and, little did he know that his and Bernays' GdM I,
II would basically be ignored when decades after the rewriting of the
history of logic began strongly influenced by Church and the way he
controlled his journal.

Patrik