Re: Antonelli’s Logicism

Richard Kimberly Heck richard_heck at brown.edu
Thu Aug 27 22:50:00 EDT 2020

On 8/27/20 8:01 PM, Joe Shipman wrote:
> The way I explained Frege quantifier isn’t nearly as grammatically smooth and convenient as using “more” or “most”; it’s nice to be able to map the formal language to English straightforwardly.
>
> Is choice really necessary? Suppose I make A and B disjoint by tagging their elements to get A’ and B’, and define C = anything that is A’ or B’, and say H(A,B) iff neither “most C are A’ “ nor “most C are B’ “ ? Why doesn’t that get the Hartig quantifier?

If you were sure you could do this 'tagging', then that would work. But
the possibility of doing such tagging in general requires that the
universe be embeddable into a proper part of itself. I.e., it requires
(at least) that the universe be Dedekind infinite. Without (countable)
choice, we do not know that.

In "Cardinal Arithmetic in Weak Theories", Visser considers a theory he
calls COPY, which is a weak second-order theory whose characteristic
axiom is precisely that there are two functions that map the universe to
two disjoint copies of itself. Visser shows that this theory interprets
Q even though (like Q) it does not have a pairing function.

Riki