Is forcing force on us

Timothy Y. Chow tchow at math.princeton.edu
Fri Aug 21 19:40:47 EDT 2020

On Fri, 21 Aug 2020, John Baldwin wrote:
> What is the distinction between arithmetic and set theory that makes
> forcing possible?

I should clarify that I had in mind potentially "exotic" weakenings of ZF
that may not have been studied much.  In other words, I'm imagining
tinkering with the ZF axioms specifically to see what is forcing us to use
forcing (as opposed to tinkering with the axioms to create systems of
intrinsic interest).

But as for your question here, I tried asking something similar on
MathOverflow a while ago.

https://mathoverflow.net/q/100792

Tim