Ken Kunen

Harvey Friedman hmflogic at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 18:25:05 EDT 2020

I was shocked and saddened to hear about Ken about an hour ago on the
FOM thanks to Minna Dzamonja conveyed by Martin Davis. I first met Ken
when he was finishing up as a graduate student at Stanford University
when I arrived there in 1967. He had immense technical power already
then at a level that was competing with the world's leading set
theorists. In addition to establishing striking new results about
measurable cardinals using the iterated ultrapower technique, soon
later he established his legendary refutation of the large cardinal
hypothesis that was so prominently positioned at the top of the
crucially important development of elementary embeddings spearheaded
by Scott, Solovay, and Reinhardt.This Kunen Inconsistency is
definitely one of the few most shocking developments in the whole of
mathematical logic. There is a splendid thorough account of Ken's work
by Aki Kanamori in Topology and its Applications, Volume 158, Issue
18, 1 December 2011, pages 2446-2459.

Harvey Friedman