A Candidate Geometrical Formalism for the Foundations of Mathematics

José Manuel Rodríguez Caballero josephcmac at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 06:41:22 EDT 2020

Dear FOM members,
  I think that it will be interesting to know the opinion of mathematicians
about the proposal of the Wolfram Model as a foundation of mathematics.
Here is the reference

https://www.wolframphysics.org/bulletins/2020/08/a-candidate-geometrical-formalism-for-the-foundations-of-mathematics-and-physics/

and below there is the official abstract concerning this proposal:

 The interplay between logic, metamathematics and the Wolfram model, with
an emphasis on the relationship between homotopy type theory, (higher)
topos theory, (higher) category theory and the discrete foundations of
quantum mechanics and general relativity. Key results will include a new
interpretation of type spaces and the incompleteness theorems in terms of
multiway systems and their foliations, a new interpretation of rulial space
in terms of fibrations of infinity-topoi, interpretations of quantum
measurement in terms of higher homotopies and the univalence axiom, and the
beginnings of a rigorous mathematical connection between the quantum
mechanical properties of the Wolfram model and the categorical quantum
mechanics framework developed by Coecke and Abramsky. We will also make
some remarks of a more philosophical flavor regarding possible implications
of the formal structure of the Wolfram model for the origins of the laws of
both mathematics and physics.

Best,
Jose M.