R: axiomatics

Antonino Drago drago at unina.it
Thu Apr 23 17:14:42 EDT 2020

For more references one has to focus on Goedel’s incompleteness result. Several scholars considered it as the ultimate evidence of the insufficiency of the axiomatic method:

E.W. Beth: “Fundamental Features of Contemporary Theory of Science”, Brit. J. Phil. Science, 1 (1950) 89-102, p. 102;

J. van Heijenoort: “Goedel Theorem”, in Paul Edwards (ed.): Encyclopedia of Philosophy, MacMillan, London, 1967, p. 356;

G. Kreisel “Logic aspects of axiomatic method”, in H.-D. Ebbinghaus et al. (eds.): Logic Colloquium ’87, North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1989: 183-217.

J. Hintikka:” Is there completeness in Mathematics after Goedel?”, Phil. Topics, 17, 1989 no. 2, 69-90.

Best regards

Antonino Drago