axiomatics

Joe Shipman joeshipman at aol.com
Thu Apr 23 11:23:57 EDT 2020

The Rota book is very helpful (not just on the page referenced but in many other places), and clarifies that the problem is one of philosophy rather than mathematics. Rota explains that philosophers misapprehend the role of axiomatics and as a result have done damage to philosophy. As for mathematicians, axiomatics is important for presentation, verification, pedagogy, and clarification, but mathematicians themselves are not, or need not be, straitjacketed by axiomatics in a way that hinders discovery, if I am interpreting Rota correctly.

I’m interested in criticisms of axiomatics by mathematicians, and Rota’s book is uniquely helpful because he was eminent in both philosophy and mathematics.

— JS

Sent from my iPhone