[FOM] 827: Tangible Incompleteness Restarted/1

Timothy Y. Chow tchow at math.princeton.edu
Mon Sep 30 22:24:36 EDT 2019

On Mon, 30 Sep 2019, Joe Shipman wrote:
> That raises the question of whether any results from graph theory have
> been applied in category theory in interesting ways. Do graph theorists
> have anything to tell category theorists about categories?

This question has been raised before on MathOverflow, and to a first
approximation, the answer seems to be "no":

https://mathoverflow.net/questions/74615/intersection-between-category-theory-and-graph-theory

>> On Sep 30, 2019, at 2:29 PM, Louis H Kauffman <kauffman at uic.edu> wrote:
>> It should be pointed out in this discussion that a category is a
>> digraph with extra (compositional) structure. Category theorists would
>> not care to be categorized as studying a subcategory of graph theory.

I'm not sure if you're trying to draw an analogy between quivers and
categories.  If you are, then one place the analogy breaks down is that
nobody defines a category as a digraph, pure and simple.  A category has
extra structure.  On the other hand, a quiver *is* standardly defined as a
digraph (or perhaps a multidigraph, if you want to emphasize the
possibility of multiple edges).  Period.  No extra structure.  So why
introduce a new word?  There's no logical need for it.

Gabriel, in the paper where he introduced quivers, justified his
introduction of a new word (Köcher) on the grounds that the word "graph"
already had too many connotations and related concepts ("schon zu viele
verwandte Begriffe anhaften").  Whether Gabriel was waging a "culture war"
as Friedman suggested, or whether he just wanted to emphasize that he was
only interested in a limited circle of questions about the digraph/quiver,
is unclear to me.  Either way, as I said, I believe that the terminology
is unfortunate, and generates precisely the type of confusion that Gabriel
said he was trying to avoid.

Tim