[FOM] Tangible Incompleteness Restarted/1

W.Taylor at math.canterbury.ac.nz W.Taylor at math.canterbury.ac.nz
Fri Sep 27 00:22:14 EDT 2019

Quoting Martin Davis <martin at eipye.com>:

> I think this has little to do with curricula or departments. Most working
> mathematicians  are not pleased by Gödel incompleteness, and believe that
> it is irrelevant to "real" mathematics. Harvey's body of work, with example
> after example, from various directions, challenges this prejudice. And
> regrettably, mathematicians are no more likely than the rest of humanity to
> be pleased by having their prejudices challenged.

I suspect this situation will only change when the new results extend to
proving things about the decidability of standard, or at least already
existing, undecided math problems - RH, Goldbach, Twin primes etc.

At that point I expect the most intransigent, but serious, mathematician
will be forced to admit there is value in these methods.

Bill Taylor     w.taylor at math.canterbury.ac.nz