[FOM] Epistemology for new axioms

Joe Shipman joeshipman at aol.com
Sun Sep 8 17:03:46 EDT 2019

Of course, the same thing could be said of ordinary mathematicians who assume unproved hypotheses all the time in their research; but there are two important differences.

1) The set theorists who believe V=L, in my example, would be more sure that their axioms wouldn’t be disproved than number theorists who assume the Riemann Hypothesis, and less willing to speak of their results as conditional.

2) Both sides of the open question can be fruitful in set theory; but I’m not aware of a comparable situation in ordinary mathematics (there aren’t a lot of papers on the consequences of ~RH). The closest I can think of is the P-NP question but we don’t have any community of researchers who are working on the consequences of P=NP because they expect that to be true.

— JS

Sent from my iPhone