[FOM] Epistemology for new axioms

Timothy Y. Chow tchow at math.princeton.edu
Sat Sep 7 13:50:48 EDT 2019

Joe Shipman wrote:

> I can foresee the "pluralism" possibly leading in an unhealthy
> direction, with the kind of fruitlessness that is characteristic of the
> endless debates about "interpretations" of quantum mechanics. If some
> mathematical communities concentrate on developing set theory in
> incompatible directions than others do (V=L vs Large Cardinals, for
> example), they might not have much to say to each other, especially if
> the methods and techniques are different enough that it will be uncommon
> to be expert in both "schools".

I like your analogy with quantum mechanics, but I don't see anything
"unhealthy" about your scenario, or at least nothing more unhealthy than
the usual perils of specialization.

Suppose set theorists split into two camps as you suggest.  I'm not sure
that it will be any "worse" than, say, the split between finite group
theorists and infinite group theorists.  The axioms "the ground set is
finite" and "the ground set is infinite" are incompatible, and so finite
group theorists and infinite group theorists "might not have much to say
to each other" and there might not be many who are experts in both
subjects.  But so what?

It's true that set theory is closer to philosophy than most other areas of
mathematics are, and debates about the foundations of mathematics may be
similar in flavor to the debates about the interpretations of quantum
mechanics.  But I don't see what is so harmful about such debates.  They
don't prevent anyone from getting on with their technical work, since
there is still a consensus about what constitutes a technically correct
argument or calculation.  Once in a long while, the philosophical debates
may even inspire some fresh technical idea.  So what's the problem?  If
people want to engage in philosophical debates, why not let them?  If you
don't like the lack of "progress" (whatever that means) then just ignore
the debates.

Tim