[FOM] query about proving Fermat's last theorem in first-order PA

Colin McLarty colin.mclarty at case.edu
Thu Sep 5 13:56:59 EDT 2019

To Rupert McCallum: I am not sure what you mean by predicative, but as one
step in the proof which I would like someone to work through fully, let me
name the opening pages of
Ken Ribet's "On modular representations of Gal(Q-bar/Q} arising from
modular forms."  This is definitely not predicatively expressed.  Whether
it can be made predicative is a whole different question.

On the general question, let me quote something Angus said at Warwick
University (
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__warwick.ac.uk_fac_sci_maths_research_events_2013-2D2014_nonsymp_fermat_&d=DwIFaQ&c=slrrB7dE8n7gBJbeO0g-IQ&r=xXZM6ZrkjVxXknjzIxhAvQ&m=Vhd3XYsaXddzWjY4Fpbgj8QkYKlmpGGflvpI3eyIY34&s=tDUViIA3lRLFj8ERr08h3HODhyh9IiOEDUCMPTg8e4w&e=
):

Peano arithmetic, although frequently described by logicians as far too
> weak for mathematics, is far too strong for mathematics.

I entirely agree with Angus, and for example with Harvey Friedman, that all
the concrete math we do (including FLT) can be done in PA.  In fact I think
Harvey may be right that FLT can be done in the finitely axiomatized
fragment Exponential Function Arithmetic.  But belief is not proof.  Angus
has been skeptical of the claim about EFA.  Here obviously there is no way
to decide except looking for proofs.

Like Timothy Chow I recommend that anyone interested in first order proofs
of FLT read Angus's appendix to his chapter 1 of "Kurt Gödel and the
Foundations of Mathematics: Horizons of Truth."   I will stress what Angus
says on page 8.  There are

a number of distinct regions of the proof, almost all hitherto unvisited by
> proof
> theorists..... Some but certainly not all this territory is known to some
> model theorists

Specifically on modular forms (Angus, page 16]

inspection shows no hint of higher-order maneuvers or associated
> obstruction to finite approximation. At the same time, I concede that
> spelling out the finite approximations would be a lengthy enterprise, and
> here it would be useful to have some metatheorems to apply.

This is where I begin to diverge form Angus's view.  He seems to insist,
and Timothy Chow seems to agree, that getting through those results would
just be a huge amount of routine work.  On the other hand I insist

A) We cannot really be sure how much work it would be.

and

B) We can be sure that if people try, they will find better concepts and
approaches to organize and simplify the tasks.  How far this will go
depends on how much insight can be found.  Maybe a lot.  Maybe not. There
are no guarantees how well it will work.

Angus on pages 19 and 23 quotes Georg Kreisel suggesting mathematical
benefits that might come from knowing a first order proof.

On the other hand, I will say the proof theory of FLT has always been
synecdoche for the proof theory of modern number theory.  It is (so far)
not about the 3-5 trick, or R=S strategy.  We are nowhere near that level
of detail yet.   Currently, it is about basic class field theory,
modularity, and cohomology.  These are all topics logicians could
understand much better than we now do -- proof theorists or model
theorists.

Colin