[FOM] 827: Tangible Incompleteness Restarted/1

Patrik Eklund peklund at cs.umu.se
Thu Oct 3 02:07:15 EDT 2019

No, a category is not just a digraph with extra structure. If you look
e.g. at categorical algebra, you will understand. For instance,
investigate tree automata over monoidal closed categories, and
interesting things happen.

I don't think graph theory is the slums of topology. Graph theory may
have some relation to universal algebra (tree are terms?!), though
certainly not being the slums of it. In general, I would be careful
about saying anything in direction of math A being absorbed by math B.
It's too sandbox for me, thank you.

Nor would I use "the intersection of math A and math B" (no critics
against you, Timothy, in any way), and not even "the union of math A and
math B" or "the complement of of math A with respect to math B", even if
the latter two to me sound a bit more appealing than just
"intersection". Union I would see as synergy and complement as
influence. Maybe intersection then is interest in cooperation and
communication, interest in learning from each other. Intersection as
crossroads, so as to say. Then "the intersection of math A and math B"
very much makes sense,

So math Category Theory is not a subset of math Graph Theory.

Best,

Patrik