[FOM] Book announcement: Reflections on the Foundations of Mathematics: Univalent Foundations, Set Theory and General Thoughts. Synthese Library, Springer, Berlin

Deniz Sarikaya Deniz_Sarikaya at hotmail.de
Tue Nov 19 06:48:00 EST 2019

To the members of the FOM-List,

We are very happy to announce that you can access "Reflections on the Foundations of Mathematics: Univalent Foundations, Set Theory and General Thoughts. Synthese Library, Springer, Berlin" online.
For those of you who have access to Springer Link, here you can read the book: https://link.springer.com/book/10.1007%2F978-3-030-15655-8<https://link.springer.com/book/10.1007%2F978-3-030-15655-8?fbclid=IwAR0iyyewuATQ20r361-7aDlhzfCDoFY4Afy4XG_z4Cn1cgH5XSEI8T60HdU>

We wanted to bring this to notice to the list members as some of the preprints and the conference motivating the volume already received some attention here:
A longish and very helpful discussion started with this tread - https://cs.nyu.edu/pipermail/fom/2016-March/019567.html
In the discussion around the threat “[FOM] deautomatization in mathematics” this October a preprint of  “Formalising Mathematics in Simple Type Theory” by Lawrence C. Paulson played a role.
We hope that this might even yield to some new posts to the “sugared foundations” discussion, which started recently.

You will find many interesting pieces from Logicians, Mathematicians, Philosophers and Computer Scientists on foundational issues including a gentle introduction into old and new contenders for foundational theories. Among the authors you will find: Benedikt Ahrens, Thorsten Altenkirch, Neil Barton, Anthony Bordg, Nathan Bowler, Ulrik Buchholtz, Merlin Carl, Stefania Centrone, Mirna Džamonja, Bernhard Fisseni, Sy-David Friedman, Laura Fontanella, Michèle Friend, Deborah Kant, Ansten Klev, Lawrence C. Paulson, Graham Priest, Penelope Maddy, Paige R. North, Andrei Rodin, Giovanni Sambin, Deniz Sarikaya, Martin Schmitt, Bernhard Schröder, Claudio Ternullo, Roy Wagner and Philip D. Welch.

I am very grateful for the time the authors and anonymous referees took for this volume and the pieces we received were much more than we could have hoped for.

The book is somehow born out of the FOMUS - Foundations of Mathematics: Univalent foundations and set theory ​​​Bielefeld, Germany | July 18-23, 2016. You can (re)watch (most of) the talks here: http://fomus.weebly.com/talks-abstracts--videos.html<https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Ffomus.weebly.com%2Ftalks-abstracts--videos.html%3Ffbclid%3DIwAR0tzkFWsyzpMMiG-J8X96ahJJ020PEG90ty7hkSp-MmarM0FcRjROaXiyo&h=AT0eVw0-7rC7DMnrKFmpfYAhw-u4izXeDT91cRsITK5oNInLYh9K2DoI716e7Iv6iOrxnwK1b6wDFeuDAtwyCmDT8altY3F60jDCMEWtgQsa8SUcRvM_0caCZMhKL85b_HdDhOuji7-tfF9Df03Jri1FmuJcugsu0w>

Best wishes,
Debora, Deniz and Stefania