[FOM] Finite functions and necessary use of large cardinals

Timothy Y. Chow tchow at math.princeton.edu
Tue Nov 12 17:02:04 EST 2019

Gill Williamson wrote:

> Below is a link to my latest thoughts on connections between Harvey
> Friedman's 1998 paper (Annals of Mathematics) and the P vs NP problem:
>
> https://arxiv.org/abs/1907.11707v2

This is an intriguing suggestion, but I thought that one lesson from
Friedman's Boolean relation theory was that a seemingly innocuous "tweak"
of statement to a superficially similar statement can abruptly switch it
from unprovable in ZFC to trivially provable in an extremely weak system.
So it seems very bold to me to conjecture that a whole family of
superficially similar statements are all unprovable in ZFC just because
some, or even most, of them are.

Tim