[FOM] Why not this theory be the foundational theory of mathematics?

martdowd at aol.com martdowd at aol.com
Fri Mar 29 18:15:43 EDT 2019

FOM, regarding quote below from Patrick Eklund
This seems to me to be a muddled attempt to circumvent the history of mathematical logic.  Of course, semantics comes first, but the great achievement of formal logic has been to provide a formal syntax which provides a mechanism for studying various aspects of mathematical reasoning.  The accuracy of the method is attested to by the many great achievements in the 150 or so year history of it.

Martin Dowd

Maybe the main problem of foundations is indeed that syntax is ALWAYS
justified ONLY by semantics, because "syntax" in Foundation is
"constructive" only in the sense of putting characters one by one
side-by-side (the "supermagna") by certain "rules" presented in natural
language and "fully justified" only by semantics.

So in this view there is basically no constructive syntax, because
semantics comes FIRST, and semantics justifies syntax.